Saturday, June 11, 2005

Women and Maps

Kathy is horrible at reading maps. I can't tell you how many times she's looked at the map and erroneously (yet confidently) told me which way to go. And while many women in fact have no trouble with maps, it's known that on average men have better spatial abilities than women (while women on average have better verbal skills than men). Last night, I figured out why women aren't as good with maps -- men are XY, but women are XX, so they're missing an axis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a good one - have to tell Jim this one!

Anonymous said...

Soooo... I can't tell you how many times...

If her map-reading skills are so shaky, why is she still getting the map?

Anonymous said...

In our family it the exact opposite, including verbal skills.
We print off mapquest directions for everything now. Last summer if you recall, when we travelled east for Paul's camp and the thon, we used mapquest for the whole route, and didn't get confused once.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall YOU trying to read a map as we drove through the northeast during college interview time...not very successfully!

aaron said...

Geez Mom, I was 16 at the time. In the intervening years, I've learned a little bit.