Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The NBA Draft -- it's Yawn-tastic

I can't believe I was tracking the NBA draft throughout the first round last night. Admittedly, it was a background window on my computer, but I still checked it frequently, reading an analysts's take on each pick. Why did I follow such an event? I didn't particularly care about any of these young men, some of whom I watched in the NCAA tournament, most of whom I had never heard of before reading the articles about them on espn.com. I kept wondering why some players were taken later than projected, and if by fluke any would fall to the Celtics, one of the two teams (along with the Wizards, who lacked a first-round pick) that I pull for. I was actually delighted when a player that was supposed to go in the top 10, but whom I'd never heard of before Monday, fell into the Celtics' lap at #18.

Perhaps it's because of the analysis and the analysts. Many of these "experts" have little idea on the likely success of individuals, but still they gush about some picks and ridicule others. I can't believe that no one has put together a montage of analysts gushing/ridiculing themselves into idiocy on past picks. Replay draft night clips of pundits praising Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic, along with dozens of other busts. I have no idea who they criticized that turned out to be gold, but they've got to be out there. Call them draft night bloopers. General Managers and coaches get fired over these players not panning out -- I'm sure they'd love to see someone else join them in the doghouse, if only for the length of a show.

Probably the silliest element of the evening is that I tracked the draft of a sport that I watch perhaps three times per year (though I do play fantasy NBA). Truly I am a sports junkie.

No comments: