Sunday, June 05, 2005

Skinny Dip

In two weeks I go on vacation to the Outer Banks, so I'm not sure what possessed me to read a book that's ideal beach reading. No complaints, however, on Carl Hiaasen's 2004 release. It's completely in keeping with the Hiaasen playbook -- woman who finds herself in trouble in no small part because of what she's done, but also due to the machinations of someone else; rescuing man who needs rescuing of his own, but who inevitably has a heart of gold; idiots/villains; and a host of outlandish characters and scenes set in South Florida. In other words, you should know what you're getting from a Hiaasen, but that's no reason to be disappointed -- humor, romance, and wild creativity go non-stop in Skinny Dip, as they do in the other Hiaasen novels I've read. The book doesn't ask you to think much, just to sit back and enjoy the flow -- in other words, I need to get another Hiaasen or two from the library before I head for the ocean. Rating: 7/10.

No comments: