Sunday, March 20, 2005

Walking Man

About eight years ago, I twice walked home from work. Work being in the district, and home at the time being in Virginia well past the district line at the time, it made for quite a substantial walk. The weather called out for me to do it -- 50s or so and a light rain to cool me off. It felt so good, like I could walk all night (the second time, because I tried a "shortcut," it almost seemed like I did walk all night). The first time I saw a roommate right after I got back, and the euphoria I had felt from such a wonderful experience made him think that I had been doing drugs.

Today, I metro'd over to Virginia to get my game tix for the USA-Mexico match next Sunday. Then I walked the seven or so miles home. I had been toying with the idea, but didn't make up my mind for certain until I was ready to head home. I wasn't ideally prepared, already feeling a bit thirsty as I set out. The route I took was the GW Parkway to the 14th Street Bridge, up to Independence Ave and straight on home. My right pinkie toe started hurting after a while, but quieted down once I tightened up the laces. The last couple of miles got a bit tough -- I had stopped for water just off the Mall, so that helped with dehydration, but the sun unkindly appeared for the home stretch as well. Still, I made it and other than some soreness that will surely linger into tomorrow (especially my Achilles that likes to act up), I think it went pretty well. No euphoria (perhaps it was having music in my ears the whole way, perhaps all the cars right next to me during long stretches), but a fair amount of self-satisfaction.

Why did I do it? The weather was overcast and low 50s, which made for an inviting opportunity. The fact that I felt like I needed some exercise contributed as well. But I think the main reason I did it was because I needed to break out of routine -- too often I find myself having done little during the weekend, and regretting not carpeing the diem. Winter exacerbates the feeling, because I usually don't feel like going out unless I have to. Spring is slow this year, but it's finally starting to come on. And I'm ready to resume activity -- the time for hibernating is over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tale, Aaron. I have been fond of cool Spring/Fall walks in the rain since college. I’ve found that it not only is a break from “the routine� but its also a chance to recharge. For me, a rainy day isn’t only a time that promotes growth of our surrounding flora but also self-awareness. Sitting on a park bench, alone, often contributes to my personal development and understanding of work, relationships and defining my place in “the world�.

Perhaps that is why I liked visiting Washington, Montreal, Victoria, London and Dublin – it wasn’t only a vacation from work but it was “freedom of movement�. I spent hours each day walking alone. Only a loose agenda of places to visit but mainly zig-zagging across each city discovering the real persona not found on a tourbus or through the frame of your host’s car window. The alleys, un-maintained billboards and pan-handler on the corner all have stories to tell… and permanent images collate to tell you more about yourself.

A high school friend’s father used to mention – “only 50% of knowledge can come from school, the other half comes from life experiences. Get out and see the world for yourself.�

Todd