Monday, March 21, 2005

NCAA Tourney Update

For one brief moment, I was on top of the NCAA Tournament world. Sure I'd only gotten 23 out of 32 first round picks right, but all sixteen of my Sweet 16 picks had won. And on Saturday, the first 6 of those 16 had won their next game, including Wisconsin-Milwaukee (at 12, the lowest seed to advance) and Texas Tech (a 6 seed). #7 was tough, but Kentucky pulled through. #8 was Wake Forest dropping the double overtime game to West Virginia. Since I had Wake losing the next round that wasn't such a big deal, but then, in the first game of Sunday, my runner-up pick, Connecticut, was sent packing by N.C. State. Just like that, and fantasies I entertained of being the top entry in the ESPN pool (where until the Wake loss I was in the top 5000 picks out of 3 million) were erased.

Tourney time is great, and it didn't take long for me to get re-energized about the tournament. Anything can happen, and it's amazing when it does. Even Kathy was watching the end of the Syracuse-Vermont game with me. Not sure how much I'll watch when I'm in Mexico, but I'm sure I'll be following it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love tourney time, too, but i actually had to give up on the office pools a while back in order to not have a stroke. the kansas loss was very special to me.