Monday, March 21, 2005

Schiavo 2

A very thoughtful piece on the Schiavo case from a bioethicist can be found here.

Meanwhile, I don't know how much more disgusted I can get with this proceeding, but I'm certainly more pissed off than I was before. I'd like to know why the media isn't discussing this little factoid in the context of the Schiavo case:
  • George W. Bush signed a law in Texas that gives hospitals the right to remove life support if the patient can't pay and there's no hope of revival, regardless of the patient's family's wishes. It's called the Texas Futile Care Law. Last week under this law, a baby was removed from life support against his mother's wishes.
Hypocrisy knows no bounds here.

On the bright side, it looks like a lot of people are as bothered by this as I am.

Oh, and before I forget, lest there be any doubt about my wishes:

TO MY FAMILY, MY PHYSICIAN, MY LAWYER, MY ATTORNEY­-IN‑FACT UNDER A DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY, IF ANY, AND MY COURT-­APPOINTED GUARDIAN OR SURROGATE, IF ANY:

  1. I direct my attending physician to withhold or withdraw treatment that serves only to prolong the process of my dying if I should be in a terminal condition or in a state of permanent unconsciousness.
  2. I direct that treatment be limited to measures to keep me comfortable and to relieve pain, including any pain that might occur by withholding or withdrawing life-sustaining treatment.
  3. My wife, Kathy, is designated as my surrogate to make medical treatment decisions for me if I should be incompetent and in a terminal condition or in a state of permanent unconsciousness. In the event my wife is unable to act as my surrogate, I designate my father, Mark, as my surrogate.
  4. It is my intention that my wishes shall be honored by my family and physicians and others responsible for my care. I further direct that anyone acting in good faith reliance on this instruction (my physicians, surrogate, family or next of kin) shall not be subject to either civil or criminal liability or be found to have committed an act of unprofessional conduct.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Canada we have what is called a "Personal Directive". All of my ducks are in a row and my Personal Directive is up to date, drawn up by a lawyer, and my wishes are the same as yours.

The Schiavo case made the front page of my local paper on Saturday.
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!! I've been watching all of the coverage on CNN and I too any disgusted by the whole mess.

Anonymous said...

Finally the Schiavo case was all in the news in Germany too. In Germany it is kind of two edged. Even though the patience has a living will the nearest relatives can state other wishes. This is still causing a lot of problems but as to my knowledge not solved yet. The big advice here is that you talk to your relatives and make very clear why your living will is in such and such way.
I talked to Jim about it and our living wills are also the same as yours and I have all trust that we will not handle that otherwise if it comes - hopefully never - to this case.
Nat