Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Complicity and Simplexity

I want to live simply. I want to give up 90% of my worldly possessions, move into a small place, be environmentally friendly. I want to own a few possessions, rather than have the sum of my possessions own me.

I want stuff -- I'd like at least 20 or so new cds, another new digital camera, a new dining room table and chairs, and I'd like to renovate the second floor so it's as nice as the first floor. I don't think twice about buying beer I haven't tried before.

I don't have cable, and hardly watch TV. I don't buy much, and given my income, could even be considered cheap for what I pass on.

I don't know what I'd do without my computer and a DSL line, and my music.

I have been raised in a consumer world, and I want off. But there's a large part of me that embraces it. I want, and I hate that I want. It is an internal conflict that I consciously think about almost every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaron, if you ever decide to give up 90% of your possessions, can I have first crack at your CD collection? Given that there's already a lot of overlap, I probably wouldn't take too much, but I want to get the good stuff first.