Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Back in Class with so much to Learn

Today I finished up a 3-day course that I attended to learn how to do something workwise I don't really want to do. On the bright side, the class was moderately painless -- the teacher was fairly engaging, though his teaching style could be a bit frustrating -- he asked for opinions on things for which we had no expertise (which is why we were taking the class), for the purpose of shooting us down. It definitely wasn't personal, and he served most of it with some humor, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Sure there were some boring parts, but the way I dealt with that was by being a very active participant. In so doing, I wasn't trying to be a pain, though I'm sure it came out that way a couple of times. The class moved at a fairly leisurely rate, and likely could have been completed one day earlier. It let out well before my work day would normally end, but rather than return to the office, each day I went home and checked my e-mail, all the while enjoying being out of the office. Tomorrow I'll be back there, hope the time away will help my state of mind there.

Speaking of which, on my way home yesterday, a neighbor told me that over the weekend, she and her husband were in Asheville, and on the spot decided to move there. They already have a contract on a house. Sounds really neat, but it left Kathy and me somewhat saddened that we don't feel like we know what we'd do were we to leave DC. We have a host of places we'd consider living, but always it boils down to what we'd do when we got there. My latest scheme would be to do nothing, or at least, have nothing planned and see what happened when we got there. We wouldn't need to find something right away, and instead would take advantage of how much our house has appreciated since we moved here. Ideally, the place we'd move to would be an area where housing costs are fairly low but the market is just starting to take off, so we could take advantage of its appreciation, repeating the move as often as desired.

I guess it boils down to whether we'll be dreamers or doers. So far, we've been inclined to be the former much more than the latter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could move closer to where I am.