Saturday, January 07, 2006

Meme

I've done one meme before, voluntarily just to try it. This, however, is the first time I've been tagged. At the outset, I have to note that the participants in this meme generally seem to be of a particular gender, or which I am not a member. I don't know if this makes my participation a good thing or a bad thing.

Remove the top blog from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom.

Childsplayx2
The Weirdgirl
It's Not All Mary Poppins
Lory's blog
aaron's blog

Select five people to play (entirely voluntary, of course)

Evo Morales
turd blossom
Adam Kidan
Michael Schiavo
Marcus Vick

What were you doing ten years ago?

In January 1996 I had just been dumped by my girlfriend of 10 months, a co-worker. I had switched jobs at my agency four months earlier, and was unhappy enough to make another switch three months later -- fortunately, the second switch took, and I remained at that division for nearly eight years. I was living in the basement in a four-person group house in North Arlington.

In the summer of 1996 I would take perhaps my greatest adventure, two weeks on my own in the Czech Republic, showing up unable to speak Czech or German, with no place to stay and no plans, only a return ticket and two guidebooks. It might not have been that big of a deal, but given my limited exposure to foreign travel at the time, it was big -- it opened up my eyes to at least some recognition of what I'd been missing, and I've been traveling lots ever since.

What were you doing one year ago?

Exactly one year ago I was finishing up an amazing two weeks in Costa Rica with Kathy's family, the first week spent volunteering on a collective farm, the second spent traveling around seeing a fraction of the beautiful sights this small country has to offer. Once I got back, everything was pretty much the same as things are now, except I wasn't as miserable in my job.

Five snacks you enjoy.

1. Cashews (they're even better when mixed with chocolate morsels)
2. Baby carrots
3. Bananas
4. Tortilla chips
5. M&Ms

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics.

1. Lengthwise by Phish
2. A New England by Billy Bragg
3. Absolutely Cuckoo by The Magnetic Fields
4. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by the Allman Brothers
5. Happy Birthday

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire.

1. Travel
2. Travel
3. Travel
4. Travel
5. Travel

Five bad habits.

1. Bite my nails.
2. Cut my own hair -- when I'm at work!
3. Use sarcasm too much.
4. Fail to finish assigned tasks.

Five things you like doing.

1. Drinking good beer.
2. Travel
3. Hanging out with good friends.
4. Going to Soccer games (DC United and US Men's National Team)
5. Traveling with/to see good friends so we can go to soccer games and drink good beer.

Five things you would never wear or buy again.
Here's where that gender discrepancy really comes into play -- guys don't think about what they would or wouldn't wear again, so I'm surprised that I was able to come up with even one of those.

1. Any beer from Budweiser, Miller or Coors.
2. A concert ticket to see Jay Farrar/Son Volt.
3. My hair in a mullet (the old pictures of me with one may be the only thing about me that makes Kathy cringe).
4. A calendar at full-price (half price as of January 2).
5. Non-discounted sneakers (sneakers are sneakers are sneakers -- an outlet or clearance rack does the trick every time).

Five favorite toys.

1. My desktop computer
2. My jukebox
3. My camera
4. The laptop computer
5. Kathy's breasts (the subject is not "my" favorite toys, so please don't think that I'm asserting ownership here. Also please note that the answers contained here are not necessarily listed in order of preference)