Thursday, February 24, 2005

Digital Camera Purchase

On our trip to Costa Rica, I dropped my digital camera. It still works, but now you have to press extra hard to take a picture. And of course, pressing extra hard increases the likelihood that I'll jerk the camera and produce a blurry shot. So, given that defect, and that my camera is over three years old (the model came out 4 1/2 years ago), I thought it might be a good opportunity to find a better camera.

In using my current camera, I had gotten some ideas on what I'd like to find in a new camera -- I wanted more than 3MPs, to allow for some cropping here and there without significantly hurting the photo quality, and I wanted more than 3x zoom, because I'm sick of taking a photo of wildlife or a distant landmark that a 3x zoom can't capture adequately. I also wouldn't mind a smaller camera, because the smaller it is, the more likely I am to have it with me (and it's less likely I can drop it if it can fit comfortably in a pocket). But seeing all the possibilities out there, I'm feeling overwhelmed by the choices.
  • There's a tiny camera for $225 that's just as powerful as the one I have (3x zoom, 3.2MPs), provides great photos, and has a high-quality movie feature (Canon PowerShot SD200 Digital ELPH). A 4MP version is another $90 (the SD300), and the 5MP is due out next month for ~$400 (the SD400).
    • If I'm ok with lower quality movies, a smaller viewscreen, and slightly larger size, less expensive older versions are out there (the 4MP S410).
    • Similarly, there are a number of cameras, significantly smaller than my current one but not quite as small as the Digital Elphs, that have similar features and quality.
  • There's a camera the size of my current one that is being phased out (already almost 2 years old since originally released!) that's 5MP with a 4x zoom, gives great photos (but mediocre movies), and with rebates is less than $200 (Nikon CoolPix 5400).
  • There's a camera that's a bit larger than my current one, about to come out for ~$500, that's 5MP, with a 12x zoom, image stabilizer (to overcome shaky hands), and an adequate movie mode (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5).

And these are just examples -- I've spent hours upon hours reviewing specs for dozens of cameras (the site I've been using the most is Digital Camera Resource). I want high image quality, but that still leaves plenty of options, with all sorts of different combinations among zoom, MPs, price, and size, as well as features that have less, but still some, value to me (e.g., the movie mode and screen size). And the manufacturers keep on churning out newer models, with new features (such as the image stabilization). Even disregarding price, there's no such thing as the perfect camera -- the best option will still be outclassed by a similar model in at least one of the categories.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what to buy. I'm even considering buying 2 cameras, one tiny one and a larger one with more features. Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: