Saturday, February 05, 2005

2004 -- New Music Drought

2004, the music year that wasn't? I bought some albums that came out last year, but none of them stand out to me. I still have last year's best of list on my website, largely because I can't think of even ten albums that are worthy of being included on this year's list. Where is 2004's "Chutes Too Narrow" or "Electric Version"? "I" (Magnetic Fields) and "Drag It Up" (Old 97s) were good, but pale when compared to earlier works by them. "Everyone is Here" (Finn Brothers) was solid, but nothing special.

I did discover new (to me) artists in 2004 -- "More Adventurous" (Rilo Kiley) deserves mention on my best of the year list, as it was quite a good album. "Heroes to Zeros" (Beta Band) was an enjoyable one as well. But my favorite discoveries in 2004 were of albums that had come out in 2003. In particular, "Reconstruction Site" (Weakerthans) struck me as brilliant, and "It Still Moves" (My Morning Jacket) truly moved me. Hopefully, in the next couple of months I'll stumble across an album from 2004 that will do the same for me. I have hopes for "Funeral" (Arcade Fire), but I've yet to get the album.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with a good album, Wilco's "A Ghost is Born," as my favorite album of last year. I truly like the album, but it's the Regent. Will 2004 have a King or Queen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wilco is good but IMO highly overrated. The Arcade Fire album is quite good. Check out Blueberry Boat by the Fiery Furnaces. I know that you are not in to metal at all, but Leviathan by Mastodon is quite good. An offical release of Smile by Brian Wilson was also quite welcome. Dont be suckered into buying the latest album by The Walkmen, highly overrated!

Jeff