Monday, April 11, 2005

Taking Stock

So I figured it was time to take a look at what I'm doing with this blog:

1. Especially of late, I seem to be doing more "what I'm doing" type of posts than I had anticipated. I expected the vast majority of my posts to be along the lines of "what I'm thinking" instead. It might be a phase, or it might be because...

2. There are certain things I'm thinking about that I don't feel comfortable sharing. I didn't give it much thought when I started this blog, but by the manner in which I've posted, I've made it semi-anonymous -- I don't generally use my last name (I since removed the one time I did), but I do provide enough info that anyone determined to find out who I am could. One consequence is that I don't want to say something that could come back to bite me in the ass, be it about work or co-workers, friends or family. Another is that there are a few things on my mind that right now I only reveal to the people that I am closest to -- I might reveal them here if this blog were completely anonymous, but I gave up that ability when I decided to tell folks about the blog. I guess if I want to type those on a blog, I'll need to start another blog (or, since I wouldn't tell any of you, maybe I already have ;) ).

So going totally tangential for a minute, the stress I've been experiencing, the cause of which I'm not going to discuss here, has been causing me to clench my jaws. It got me thinking -- why do many people (including me) clench their jaws when they're stressed? Is it because our animal ancestors would bare their teeth at their most common source of stress, other animals? Or is it that people generally tense all their muscles under stress (fight or flight), and the jaw, along with certain other places (such as neck and shoulders), can't handle that tension as well as other muscles? I tried a google search, but I didn't see anything useful.

I now return to the made-for-blog special, Taking Stock, already in progress.

3. What happened to music? I've only posted twice about music, and I think that's because I've only been to one concert in the past couple of months, and haven't bought much lately. I need to write a review of one or more of the albums I did buy.

4. I'm enjoying writing a blog -- I didn't think I'd post as much as I do, but it's been good fun from my end of things.

5. Judging from the amount of feedback I've been getting, a number of people are enjoying my blog as well. Thanks to everyone who has commented, both on the blog and by e-mailing me privately -- it means a lot to me that you care enough to tell me what you think. It means even more to me that you care enough to lie by saying you like it.

No comments: