Thursday, February 01, 2007

In Four Days I'll Be a SAHD

It's hard to believe that Emelia is over 12 weeks old now -- I've got to stop thinking of her age in terms of weeks, and move onto months. Emelia has taken a keen interest in the world, checking everything out. Kathy's nursing is frequently interrupted by Emelia going off the nipple to take a peek at everything around her, just taking it all in. And sleep is hard to come by, because the world is so new she doesn't want to stop looking at it. She smiles and giggles all the time, and seems like a very happy kid.

Kathy's maternity leave is coming to an end -- on Monday she'll be back at work and I'll start my 12 weeks of paternity leave. Kathy's more than a little apprehensive about returning to work because she's gotten used to seeing Emelia all the time -- if Emelia ever gets on a schedule, there'll only be an hour or so in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening. There'll also be lunchtimes, because I'll be bringing Emelia by several times a week for that (Kathy's office is just over a mile away). And I'm a little apprehensive myself -- I haven't spent all day alone with her yet, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to entertain and stimulate her all day every day. I'm sure I'll be able to pull it off, but those first few days, while Emelia is stressing about not seeing her mother and I'm developing routines, is going to be quite challenging.