Sunday, March 11, 2007

Have You Heard From Me Lately?

Yesterday we almost had a fallen baby. The changing pad was no longer squarely on the table it's sitting on, as more and more stuff was getting crammed onto the far edge. And Emelia likes rolling, so in a flash while I was reaching for the new diaper, she rolled toward me and both she and the changing pad went off the edge. I caught them both before they hit the ground, no harm other than a scared child. Kathy was relieved that I was the one that happened to, given my excellent reflexes. And for the future, we removed stuff off the far edge and the changing pad is once again squarely on the table.

But that was an unusual event. Most days are pretty routine, with little to distinguish them from each other, which is why I haven't been posting much lately. I've been enjoying being home with Emelia -- there have been challenges, but there have been lots of joys as well. I've settled into a comfort zone of knowing what to do during the day, and am fully capable of adjusting to whatever comes our way (assuming she doesn't get into the habit of falling). She's learning new stuff every day, as am I. She currently thinks she's a rooster, crowing to her heart's content. Her big milestone on Friday was not stopping when she rolled from back to stomach -- she kept rolling until she was back on her back. I've discovered that her latest favorite thing for me to do is lift her in the air, and wiggle my nose into her belly. She has started teething, with occasional associated fussiness. Everything checked out fine at her four-month-old checkup this past Thursday. But I can't imagine people who aren't her parents (or perhaps her grandparents) really care about such things, or to the extent that they do, they wouldn't want daily blog entries devoted to such trivialities. And even if they do, I'm not sure I want to discuss such minutiae regularly -- I don't have much interest in babbling endlessly about my child doing things and reaching milestones that all children do and reach.

I can say that the weather's gotten better (in fact this weekend was fantastic), and that's meant we're getting outside a lot more. That makes me happier, and it gives us lots more to do. Ok, it gives me lots more to do, seeing as how most of the time she's still in her stroller.

The big thing that's going on in our lives is the making of a decision. Namely, what are we going to do with Emelia in seven weeks, when I go back to work. Kathy's considering staying at work full-time, going to part-time (or if that's not ok with her work, finding a part-time job), or being a full-time stay-at-home-Mom. Of course it's a big decision, and not an easy one. And if she ends up choosing to work part or full-time, we'll need some sort of child care, likely a nanny share (which is a very common arrangement where we are). The day care facilities in our area don't seem to have vacancies at the moment (we applied at the end of August), and they've indicated that it's likely to be August before they'd have an opening.